Other Visas and Specialist Services

Visitor Visas

Visitor visas are perfect for those who wish to travel around Australia, spend time with family, or even those that wish to conduct short term business in Australia. This visa lets you visit Australia for up to three, six or 12 months.

There are three main pathways for this visa, including:

Visitor (Subclass 600) Visa – This is the standard visitor visa that citizens of most countries can apply for. The application charge is generally $140 but can range up to $1,020. You can be outside Australia or in Australia at the time of application (as long as your current Australian visa does not have condition 8503 on it). The three main streams are the Tourist Stream, Business Visitor Stream and Family-Sponsored Stream.

eVisitor (Subclass 651) Visa – This is an electronic visa issued online and is mainly for European Union Citizens outside Australia. This visa is free however you must be a passport holder of a certain country to be eligible for this visa. This visa allows you to visit or come to Australia for business visitor purposes as many times as you want for up to one year. You must not stay longer than three months each visit.

Electronic Travel Authority (Subclass 601) Visa – This is also an electronic visa issued online for applicants of specific countries, outside Australia (including those outside the European Union). This visa has a charge of $20 and you have to be from a certain country to be eligible. This visa also allows you to visit or come to Australia for business visitor purposes as many times as you want for up to one year. You must not stay longer than three months each visit.

Temporary Protection (Subclass 785) Visa

The Temporary Protection (Subclass 785) Visa allows eligible applicants to stay, work and study in Australia for up to three years. This visa also provides the applicant job matching services, Medicare, social security benefits and short-term counselling for torture and trauma when required. Applicants may also travel outside Australia if the department is satisfied that they have compassionate and compelling circumstances for travel. Members of the family unit who are in Australia can also be included in the application for this visa.

To be eligible for this visa, you must have:

Arrived in Australia illegally;

Lodged a valid application;

Been assessed as engaging Australia’s Protection obligations;

Met other requirements, such as health, security, and character.

Protection (Subclass 866) Visa

The Protection (Subclass 866) Visa allows eligible applicants to live and work in Australia as a permanent resident and also gain access to Medicare and Centrelink services. The applicant’s partner (married or de facto), their dependent children and other eligible dependent relatives may also be included in this application.

You must meet all the following criteria to be eligible for this visa:

You arrived in Australia legally;

You engage Australia's protection obligations;

You meet the health, character and security requirements;

You meet one of the following criteria:

  • You are a refugee as defined by the Migration Act 1958

  • You meet the complementary protection criteria in the Migration Act 1958.

You are not barred from lodging a Protection visa application;

The minister is satisfied that the grant of the visa is in the national interest.

According to the Migration Act 1958, refugees are people who are outside their home country and cannot return because they have a well-founded fear of persecution due to their:



Political opinion


Membership of a particular social group.

Australia is obliged under the Refugees Convention to provide protection to refugees and to ensure they are not returned to any place where they are likely to face persecution for any of the grounds listed above. Protection can also be provided to people who cannot be returned to their home country because they engage Australia's complementary Protection obligations.

Australian Immigration Law is complex and constantly changing. For the latest information on this visa, please call our Sydney office on (02) 8625 3505 or get in contact with one of our registered migration agents for further advice.